1. Narrated by Tirmidhi in 'Manaqib Ahlul-Bait' vol.
2, p. 308, citing Umar bin Abi Salama, the Prophet's
adopted son, who said: 'The verse, 'Allah only wants to
remove uncleanness far from you, O people of Ahlul-Bait,
and purify you a thorough purifying' was revealed in the
house of Umm Salama. Then, the Prophet (s.a.w.) called
Fatima, Hasan, Husein and Ali, behind himself, covered
them with a cover and said: 'O Allah! This is my
household, so remove uncleanness from them and purify
them a thorough purifying. Umm Salama said: 'Am I with
them, O Messenger of Allah?' He said: 'You are at your
place. You are alright."'
2. Ibn Mardawaya, on the authority of ibn Abi Shaiba,
Ahmad, Tirmidhi, also, Ibn Mundir, Tabarani and Hakim,
corrected. For more details, refer to Allama Tabataba'i's
al-Mizan fi Tafsir al-Qur'an, the interpretation of the
3. Taqiyuddin Ahmad ibn Ali Miqrizi (died 845H.),
Fadhil Aal al-Bait, p. 21.
4. Zamakhshari, Tafsir al-Kashshaf', Chapter
Aal-Imran, verse No. 61, and also, mentioned in the
interpretation of al-Tha'alibi on the authority of
Mujahid and Kulaini.
5. Fakhruddin Razi, al-Tafsir al-Kabir, interpretation
of Chapter Ahzab, verse No. 56.
6- Allamah Tabataba'i, al-Mizan fi Tafsir al-Qur'an.
7 Muhaqiq Hilli, one of the great Shi'i jurists, who
lined in the 7th century of the Hijra. Mentioning the
obligations of the prayer, he said: Seventhly: The
Testimony is obligatory to recite once in a two-Rakat
prayer, mad twice in a three and four Rak'at prayer. If
one or the two of them were dropped, intentionally, the
prayer is regarded as null and void. In each, five things
are compulsory: Sitting during the Testimony, reciting
the two testimonies, sending blessings of the Prophet
(s.a.w.) mad his progeny; Shara'i al-Islam, vol. 1,
chapter on prayer.
8. Zamakhshari, al- Tafsir al-Kashshaf interpretation
of Chapter Insan. Fakhr Razi states the same narration in
al- Tafsir al-Kabir, quoting al-Kashshaf. Tabarasi has
also ginen an identical narration in Majma' al-Bayan.
9. Zamakhshari, Tafsir al-Kashshaf interpretation of
chapter Ma'ida, verse No. 55.
10. Wahidi, Asbab al-Nuszul, interpretation of chapter
Ma'ida, verse No. 55.
11. Narrated Hakim Hasakani in Shawahidal-Tanzil, vol.
1, p.190, Beirut Edition in '1393 H. that Abdullah bin
Abi Awfa said: On Ghadir Khum, I heard the Prophet of
Allah saying: After reciting the Tabligh nerse, he lifted
up AU in his hand until the whiteness of his armpit was
disclosed, then continued saying: For whomever I am
master, this, Ali, is his master...; It is narrated by
Wahidi in Asbab al-Nuzul, p. 135. Suyuti in Dur
al-Manthur, vol. 2, p. 198; that Abi Sa'id al-Khidri
said: This verse "Tabligh" is revealed
concerning Ali b in Abi Talib.
12. Narrated by Hakim Hasskan, vol. 1, p. 192-193.
13. Tarikh ibn Kathir, vol. 5, p. 213.
14. Musnad Ahmad, vol. 4, p. 281, Sunan ibn Maja,
chapter on the merits of Ali. Tarikh ibn Kathir, vol. 5,
p. 209, vol. 5, p. 210.
15. Musnad Ahmad, vol. 4, Sunan ibn Maja, chapter on
the merits of Ali.
16. Majma' al-Zawa'id; Hakim, vol. 3, p. 109-110, Ibn
Kathir, vol. 5, p. 209.
17. Musnad Ahmad, vol. 1, p. 118-119, vol. 4, p. 281;
Sunan ibn Maja, vol. 1, p. 43,p. 116; in Musnad Ahmad,
the word 'na'im' meaning 'yes' is also narrated, vol. 4,
p. 281, 368, 370; Ibn Kathir, vol. 5, p. 209, the same
narration but with a slight difference.
18. Musnad Ahmad, vol. 4, p. 281, 368, 370, 372; Ibn
Kathir, vol. 5, p. 209, 212.
19. Narrated by Hakim Hasakani, vol. 1, p. 190, he
(s.a.w.) lifted up his hand to the extent that his
armpit's whiteness is disclosed, in p. 93, the same
narration but with a slight difference.
20. Hakim Hasakani, Shawahid al-Tanzil, vol. 1, p.
191; Ibn Kathir, vol. 5, p. 109: 'I am the master of
21. Musnad Ahmad, vol. 1, p. 118-119; vol. 4, p. 281,
370, 372, 373; vol. 5, p. 347, 370; Mustadrak al-Hakim,
vol. 3, p. 109; Sunan Ibn Maja and Hakim Hasakani, vol.
1, p. 190-191; Tarikh Ibn Kathir, vol. 5, p. 209-213; Ibn
Kathir in vol. 5, p. 209 says: I asked Zayid: Have you
heard it from the Messenger of Allah? He replied: All
those who were present In the area full of lofty trees
saw and heard it with their own ears and, then, Ibn
Kathir continued saying: 'Our Shaikh, Abu Abdullah
al-Dhahabi said: This narration is correct.'
22. Stated by Ibn Jarir Tabari in his Tafsir, Suyuti
in Dur al-Manthur in different ways, and also adds that
even the Prophet's companions used to say: 'The best of
men came', whenever Ali attended them. Sawa'iq
al-Muhriqa, p. 96; Shablanchi in Nur al-Absar, p. 70,
23. Muhibuddin Tabari, Dhakha'ir al-Uqba fi Manaqib
dhawi al-Qurba, p. 30.
24. This narration, with a slight difference in
wording, was stated by Tabarani in al-Mu'jam al-Kabir,
vol. 1, p. 24 (MSS). Muttaqi Hindi in Kanz al-Ummal, vol.
6, p. 220; Muhibuddin Tabari in Dhakha'ir al-Uqba, p.
121, and Suyuti in Ihya al-Mayit, p. 29.
25. Kulaini, al-Kafi, vol. 2, p. 603.
26. Ibid, p. 605.
27 . 28 & 29 & 30. Ibid, vol. 2, p. 606, 607,
31. Shaikh Tabarasi, Majma' al-Bayan fi Tafsir
al-Qur'an, the Preface, Ch. The Fifth Ad.
33. Shaikh Balaghi, Aala' al-Rahman fi Tafsir
al-Qur'an, vol. 1, p. 18, 2nd edition.
34. Ibid. vol. 47, p. 270,
35. Allama Majlisi, Bihar al-Anwar 3rd Edition.
36. Raghib Isfahani, Mu'jam Mufradat alfad al-Qur'an,
37. Tabarasi, Majma' al-Bayanfi Tafsir al-Qur'an, the
38. Zainuddin Amili, al-Diraya, p. 113, Nu'man Press.
39. Kulaini, al-Usul min al-Kafi, vol. 1, p. 59.
40. Ibid, p. 62.
41. Kishi, Rijal al-Kishi, translated by Mughira bin
43 & 44. Suyuti, Tadrib al-Rawi fi Sharh Taqrib
45. Allama Amin, A'yan al-Shi'a, vol. 3, p. 34.
46. Imam Ali (a.s.), Nahjul-Balagha.
47 & 48. Kulaini, al-Usul min al-Kafi, vol. l, ch.
49. Saduq, Tawhid, p. 80.
50. Ibid, p. 361.
51. Rijal al-Kishi.
54. Tarikh al-Tabari, vol. 6, p. 329, 1st Edition in
Egypt. Ibn al-Athir, vol. 4, p. 9. 1st Edition, Egypt.
55. Sahih Muslim, vol. 6, p. 20, Book on Imara
56. Nawawi in his explanation of Sahih Muslim, vol.
12, p. 229. See also Sunan Bayhaqi, vol. 8, p. 158. For
more details refer to Allam Askari, Qiyam al-A'imah bi
Ihya' al-Sunnah, vol. 1, p. 118.
57. Tabrasi, Makarim al-Akhlaq, p. 39, Al-A'lami
58. Ibid, p. 67.
59. Ibid, p. 66.
60 & 61. Ibid.
62. Ibid, p. 72.
63. Ibid, p. 77.
64. Bidayat Mujtahid, vol. 1, p. 125, quoted from
'al-Fiqh ala al-Madhahib al-Khamsa' by Muhammad Jawad
65. Shaikh Muhammad Jawad Maghniya, al-Fiqh ala
67. Abu Zuhra, Al-Ahwal al-Shakhsiyah, p. 283.
68. Ibid, p. 186.
69. Ibid, p. 284.